Wil Valor Bespoke suiting
It comes as no surprise that charging around in a well fitted suit is one of my all-time favourite things to do. However, it wasn’t until I met Mark Ferguson from Wil Valor that I knew what a well fitted suit was. Mark was kind enough to bring me into his showroom and show me a thing or two about what a well fitted, bespoke suit really looked like.
- Mark is arguably Brisbane’s elite tailor. His passion and love for men’s suiting has become his life after starting Wil Valor over 12 years ago. Beyond Marks exceptional eye for fit, style and quality, he is possibly one of the most genuine and respectful blokes that I have been fortunate enough to meet. These qualities make the whole suit fitting process an absolute pleasure and incredibly easy.
The hard part – the fabric selection process
- If you have ever had a suit made for you and you’re anything like me, you will understand the endless deliberation and pressure that takes place when trying to narrow down the fabric you’re going to choose. That one fabric that is better than all the rest, that one fabric that will fill that gap in your wardrobe, that one fabric that will become your ‘go-to’ suit from now on….the pressure is on, your trying to make this selection, the clock is ticking, your appointment is ending the tailor is watching you flick backwards and forwards through the fabric book… I mean damn, talk about intense.
- Not to fear, my first suit with Mark ensured this was not the experience I endured. Before any fabric had even been looked at, Mark began with an glass of Whisky and an interview. Mark wanted to get to know me and get an understanding of what the suit is going to be for. He looks at your body shape, your skin colour, your eye colour, your hair colour to make his decision. He darts out the back of the showroom and when he returns he presents you with his suggestions. A process that is stress free and a hell of a lot more enjoyable.
- When I first met Mark, I was picking a suit for my engagement party. Mark came back from his fabric selection and said ‘Right, we’re going to make a SPLASH with this one’ – he presented the burgundy fabric that made the below suit;
Nailing that fit and getting it done – The bespoke fitting process
- Now that the hard work was out of the way for me, Mark began taking a range of very comprehensive measurements. He compiles his notes and takes pictures of your body shape, the way you stand, the size of your back relative to your chest, all of your individual nuances to ensure the fit is perfection.
- After he has done this, we talk about the nitty gritty styling, tweaks and requests that I will have. As a full bespoke tailor, Mark literally knows no limits. I explain what I want and show him photos and he gets it done. The endless individual styling options are the beauty of working with a bespoke tailor, in comparison to a made-to-measure option. These are exactly the kind of options I need.
- Pulling everything together, Marks sends the order off to his Brisbane tailors and they get to work.
- Marks bespoke suits follow a very comprehensive fitting process. Like the old school ‘gangsta’ movies, he creates a fitting mould to test the fit of the initial measurements. After trying on the fitting mould, Mark can identify all of the areas he needs to tighten up or let out before your fabric is even cut. This process follows the measure twice, cut once rule a lot of bespoke tailors abide by.
- The final fitting is always super exciting. You’ve been eagerly waiting the first fitting of your imaginative masterpiece and when the day finally arrives it’s going to be better than Christmas. I have had two suits fitted by Mark now and in both instances fitting day has presented a perfect fitting jacket. When it comes to the pants, Mark strives for perfection. I have been largely happy with my pants at this stage however, Mark thought the fit could be improved and sent them back for adjustment. An adjustment that was completed by his in house tailor, who in a matter of hours, had them back to me, perfected and ready for action.
- It comes as no surprise that Mark’s reputation has him working with a range of Brisbane’s most elite. Wearing a Wil Valor suit you’ll be in good company as his suits can also be seen on Basketballers, Radio personalities, Singers, Actors, News presenters and Brisbane’s most stylish.
- If you live in Sydney or Brisbane, the only option for suiting is of course Wil Valor.
- Take a scroll and check out some of my looks from Wil Valor.